Sunday, November 3, 2013

i found a treasure underground.
in the deep grounds of the media.

If there are any 3 things in the world that I love, they are music, movies, and art. I’m no connoisseur. (Would you believe that I just had to rely on autocorrect to even spell that word? Cause I did.)

But something I love even more is seeing a glimpse of the human soul portrayed transparently in these three things.

You’ll see it every now and then, the fruit of a longing, a desire, a thought, hunger, or the lack thereof of these things. And it’s portrayed so well in a movie, or a song, or a painting, or a poem.

It’s the longing of the human soul. It’s truth. And if you listen, you just might hear it.

One of the best examples I know of this comes from one of my favorite songs written by one of my favorite artists: John Mayer.

John Mayer has everything he needs…right? Talent, good looks, all the fans in the world, all the money in the world, yet something seems to be missing. He lays his life on a page, and writes this song. It’s called…

Something’s Missing:

I'm not alone, I wish I was
Cause then I'd know, I was down because
I couldn't find, a friend around
To love me like, they do right now
They do right now

I'm dizzy from the shopping malls
I searched for joy, but I bought it all
It doesn't help the hunger pains
and a thirst I'd have to drown first to ever satiate

Something's missing
And I don't know how to fix it
something's missing
And I don't know what it is
At all

When autumn comes, it doesn’t ask
It just walks in, where it left you last
And you never know, when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart

Something's missing
And I don't know how to fix it
something's missing
And I don't know what it is
At all

I can't be sure that this state of mind, is not of my own design
I wish there was an over the counter test, for loneliness
For loneliness like this

Something's missing
And I don't know how to fix it
Something's missing
And I don't know what it is
No I don't know what it is
Something's different
And I don't know what it is
No I don't know what it is

Friends -check-
Money -check-
Well slept -check-
Opposite sex -check-
Guitar -check-
Microphone -check-
Messages waiting for me, when I come home

How come everything I think I need, always comes with batteries
What do you think it means

How come everything I think I need, always comes with batteries
What do you think it means
_________________________________________________________________________
What do you think it means?

Do you ever feel like this? I do. Thanks JM, for that incredible transparency. (And the sweet guitar licks, too.)

Sometimes we can have all we want, or all we need, and we still feel empty. Still hungry. All the food in the world in my refrigerator, yet I’m still hungry.

What’s the point? What’s the meaning of it all?

What’s the point of living if you don’t know the purpose of it?

I starve. I struggle. I strive. And then I remember.

I do have a purpose. I was born for something. So were you.

I can have life. I do have life. But not because of anything I could do.

In the book of John, in 10:10, Jesus says, “I have come so that they might have life, and have it abundantly.”

Freedom. Life to the brim, overflowing, is found in Christ. And sometimes I have to remember that my joy isn’t found in the world. It’s impossible.

Something’s missing and I don’t know how to fix it.

We can’t. I can’t.

The pursuit of the world will always leave me hungry. And I can’t do anything to fix my emptiness. But when I stop looking at what the world has to offer, and choose to rest and believe in the work of Christ on my behalf, I am filled by His truth. It’s the source of life. And the source of living. And the source of my purpose.

Transparency is refreshing. It reminds me who I am. It reminds me who Jesus is.

Until the next song/movie/painting/poem!


No comments:

Post a Comment